[ Introduction ] [ Pool Inspection for the Home buyer ] [ Pool Inspection FAQ ] [ Winter Inspection Information ]
[ Selling Your Home With A Pool ] [ Pricing & Sign-up Form] [ Safety ] [ Diving Do's & Don'ts ]
[ Emergency Help ] [ Pool Covers ] [ Maintenance ]
[ A Commentary by Stephen Toff ] [ Contact Us ]

Toff's Pool Inspection


EXPERIENCE THE DIFFERENCE EXPERIENCE MAKES

Holiday Safety Tips


Christmas Tree Safety



Consider an artificial tree (they are much safer and cleaner).
A real tree should not lose green needles when you tap it on the ground.
Cut 1 inch off the trunk to help absorb water.
Leave the tree outside until ready to decorate.
The stand should hold at least 1 gal. of water.
A 6' tree will use 1 gallon of water every two days.
Mix a commercial preservative with the water.
Check the water level every day.
Secure the tree with wire to keep it from tipping.
Keep tree away from floor heaters, fire places, or other heat sources.
Use only UL-listed lights, and no more than 3 strands linked together.
Use miniature lights--which have cool-burning bulbs.
Turn off the Christmas lights when you sleep, or if you leave your home for very long.
Never use candles, even on artificial trees.
Clean the tree stand to improve the tree's water intake, use one capful
of bleach to a cup of water.
Dispose of the tree properly.
NEVER BURN A REAL TREE IN THE FIREPLACE.


Home Safety


Install a smoke detector or new batteries in the one(s) you have and TEST it.
Use only outdoor lights outside your home.
Examine light strings each year, discard worn ones.
Fasten the bulbs securely and point the sockets down to avoid moisture build up.
Connect no more than three strands together.
Never use indoor extension cords outside.
Avoid overloading wall outlets and extension cords.
Keep outdoor electrical connectors above ground and out of puddles and snow.
Unplug light string before replacing a bulb. Review the original package to verify
proper wattage and voltage.
When connecting light strands, wrap a plastic bag around connections and tie
ends with teflon tape.
Never use electric lights on a metallic tree, use colored spot lights.
Make sure trees hung with X-mas lights are not touching power lines.
When using candles, place them a safe distance from combustibles.
Place candles in sturdy containers. Remember, hot wax burns kids.
Extinguish candles prior to going to bed.
Dispose of fireplace ashes into a metal container until cold.
After parties, check around and under sofa and chair cushions for smoldering
cigarettes. (Provide lots of ash trays)
Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home.
Have an operable fire extinguisher readily available.

"Safety" Gift ideas




Put together a gift basket containing one or more of the following items:
Three smoke detectors and batteries.
A quality fire extinguisher.
A flashlight and batteries or light sticks.
A first-aid kit.
A carbon Monoxide detector.
A mobile phone.
A second floor escape ladder.
"Emergency kit"- energy bars, water, battery radio, flashlight/light sticks and
a first-aid kit packed in a small travel bag.
Reprinted with permission from The Children's Safety Zone,
Located at http://www.childrensafetyzone.com

PLEASE HAVE A PEACEFUL AND SAFE HOLIDAY SEASON
DON'T BECOME A STATISTIC!

Back to Safety


Serving all of the State of New Jersey,
Southern NY and Eastern Pa.

Please call us at
732-297-1362
for more information

Or email us at
inspection@poolsrv.com






[ Introduction ] [ Pool Inspection for the Home buyer ] [ Pool Inspection FAQ ] [ Winter Inspection Information ]
[ Selling Your Home With A Pool ] [ Pricing & Sign-up Form] [ Safety ] [ Diving Do's & Don'ts ]
[ Emergency Help ] [ Pool Covers ] [ Maintenance ]
[ A Commentary by Stephen Toff ] [ Contact Us ]